Sunday, February 11, 2007

The doorbell rang.

“Who are you?”

“Who are you?”

“What are you doing here?”

“Why shouldn’t I be?”

The guy outside was dressed smartly, carrying a paper bag. There was wine, and some flowers. The guy inside was in some old T-shirt, and looked as though he had just woken up.

“What happened?”

A young woman appeared at the door.

“I was planning to surprise you, and this guy opened the door instead.”

“Well, he isn’t any guy. He’s my brother.”

“Your brother?”

“Yeah. Why don’t you go home and rest now? I will talk to you again.”

He left unwillingly.

“When did you come?”

“This morning. Have been sleeping till he woke me up. Boyfriend?”

“No. Just some guy. Why did you suddenly run over? Problems at school?”

“It’s the term break. And I need to get away for a while. Need a fresh air.”

“And you come over huh.”

“Well, you did say I could. Anytime. And you aren’t around much anyway, always flying around.”

“Okay okay. Eaten?”

“No. I was sleeping.”

“I’ll fix something.”
“Don’t bother. You don’t have anything in your fridge.”

“Is it?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay, let me change out and we will go somewhere.”

“Sure.”
*

“How’s things in school? Okay?”

“I will promote, I guess.”

“Have you talked to Dad and Mum?”

“Once a week, on the phone. Nothing much ever happens there anyway.”

“How are they?”

“Okay.”

“How’s Corinne?”

“I don’t know.”

“She’s your girlfriend.”

“Not anymore.”

“Since when?”

“Three, four months ago?”

“And you didn’t tell me?”

“There wasn’t a chance. And it was nothing to boast about.”

“Three, four months. That’s how long we haven’t met eh?”

“Half a year I think. Where are we going? I haven’t been here for a while. What’s nice?”

“There’s a fish place around. You can eat your fish.”

“Then what about you?”
“What about me?”

“You don’t like fish.”

“Oh well…”

“Go somewhere else. I won’t die without fish for a day.”

“Okay, let’s go all the way to the market. We’ll eat whatever we want from the stalls there.”

“Sure.”

“It’s like twenty minutes from here. Can you take it?”

“Why not?”

“Well, who was the one who refused to walk on, and I had to carry him on my back?”

“That was so long ago. I was like seven?”

“Yeah, twelve years ago?”

“Around there.”

“We are getting old.”

“You, not me.”

“You aren’t getting any younger.”

“Maybe.”

“We should meet up more, since we are both in the same city.”

“Yeah, two lonely siblings all alone in a big city.”

“Did I say I was lonely?”

“It’s written all over your face.”

“Maybe I really am. Venprek can be very big at times. I feel so lost sometimes.”

“It’s because we came from the country. We are here to pursue our dreams. Our dreams are like the stars, and Venprek is the night sky. It just swallows us up.”

“That’s a literary way to put it.”

“If there’s someone around, maybe things will be easier.”

“When there isn’t, you can always look for your sister right?”

“Haha, hasn’t it always been the case?”

“What really happened between you and her?”

“Seriously I don’t know.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home