Monday, October 27, 2008

Mari Selieni

Someone's looking for me, my wife informed me. I got up from my chair on the balcony and slowly made my way down the stairs. Somehow, I already knew who it was.

There he was, sitting at the bar. He stood up as I approached. We shook hands and I looked him from head to toe. It was my first time meeting him. Even though I already knew who he was, I had no anticipation as to how he should look like, because I had only heard of him.

He already had a beer in front of him, so I went to the cooler and took a bottle for myself, as he sat down again.

"So, we finally meet," I paused, before continuing, "I have heard a lot about you."

He looked at me in surprise.

"So, what kind of girl is Beatrize?"

Hearing myself ask that question was like taking a time machine back to forty years ago, when I myself was in this young man's shoes, being asked a question by the old man in front of him.

"Beatrize is the kind of girl who immediately stands out. The kind of girl who will sit there quietly, and yet draw all the attention. It may have something to do with her eyes. Those eyes that talk. At the same time, her eyes always seem far away, with a slight hint of sorrow. It's a kind of vulnerability. A vulnerability that strangely draws you closer and closer, until you fall into the trap. You know it's a mistake, but yet you willingly make it."

"So do you regret it, now that she's gone?"

He shook his head.

"What are you going to do now?"

"I will continue to search for her. That's why I am here, to talk to you."

"I don't know where she is. And even if I do, if she tells me not to say, I will respect her wish."

"Then I will have to look elsewhere."

His voice was resolute.

"Have you ever heard of the phrase 'mari selieni'?"

He shook his head.

"It is Flenien. Literally, it means to sail the seas. There is a story behind it. A long time ago, this naval commander Balgia fell in love with the Princess. Balgia had led the navy in repelling off successive enemy attacks, and was as such seen as a hero by the populace. The king wasn't exactly happy about this, so when Balgia came to ask for the Princess's hand, he saw a good opportunity to get rid of Balgia. To prove his worth, Balgia must sail the seas to find the 7-headed Serpent that was said to dwell in the depths of the seas, and slay it so that the fishermen and sailors could sail safely. For a town as dependent on the sea as Flenie, this was the greatest contribution one could make. So, Balgia set sail with his ship. Days became weeks, weeks became months, and months became years. But he was obsessed with finding the Serpent, and continued sailing the seas. No one ever knew what became of him; none of his crew made it back to shore. Their supplies couldn't have lasted for more than a month, so they must all have died. Over the years, fishermen and sailors alike periodically reported seeing a lone ship sailing aimlessly in the horizon. It is said to be the ship of Balgia. A ghost ship, condemned to sail the seas. So, mari selieni is used to describe someone who is condemned to wander, without ever finding what he is obsessed with.

"It is an interesting story, isn't it?"

I watched him descend down the hill.

"So what kind of girl is Claire?"

"Claire. Claire…is like the sea. The vast sea. You can stand at the coastline and watch her, listen to her forever. She is almost always calm and soothing, gently rocking you to sleep, to serenity. Almost always, because like the sea, she has her temperament. At times like these, she is actually trying to hide her vulnerability, her insecurity, her fear. But even during such times, when people stay away, I want to be there for her."

"The sea," he laughed. "Mereven, you are good. The sea. You certainly know our weak spot. Not bad! I think I like you. You are the first Mereven I can stand. "

He sat there for a while, swirling his cup of mead. Then he said, "You know, Claire must really like you a lot. That's good. I have taken care of her all my life. It's hard for an old man like me. Damn Balgia for taking my son and his wife. But anyway, I am not getting any younger anymore. Someone else must take care of her. I can't be around forever. I don't trust a Mereven, but I think I can trust you. And I know she trusts you. I trust her judgment, after all she's Claire. My Claire. Now, listen you Mereven, if you ever hurt her, Balgia will haunt you. Did I scare you? Hohoho, I was just kidding."

He proceeded to hum a song. I recognized the tune immediately. Claire was always humming it.

40 years. That's a long time.

I went back to the balcony, and the sea was still there, painted red by the last rays of the setting sun.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait!! i dun understand! who's claire, beatrize and the man that asked for the man at the pub?!?!

M

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home