Sunday, July 01, 2007

West to East

“Is that all you have?”

“Yeah.”

I watch him disappear down the stairway with the suitcase. When he has completely disappeared from my sight, I turn my attention back to my apartment. Or more accurately, soon-to-be former apartment.

Taking one last longing look at the now-bare interior, I close the door gently, and turn the key in the lock, as if sealing all my memories in the house, happy and sad.

Hopefully, the new owner would like the place. After all, it houses wonderful memories for me. Perhaps that is why, on the other hand, I wish that it would forever remain as it is, filled with only the faint echoes of us.

Anyhow, I can never come back here again without acknowledging that things have changed. Whether or not there would be someone else in the apartment, the only thing that would matter would be the fact that this place belongs to my past.

That is why I should never come back anyway. Because in moving from west to east, Debure to Rheijsmitten, I am merely trying my best to get as far away as I can, to put everything down and start afresh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home